Saints open way for Webster
Sam Worthington, stuff.co.nz
Wellington Saints have joined the New Zealand Breakers in offering Corey Webster a lifeline when the talented Kiwi guard returns from a drugs ban.
Webster, who was suspended for cannabis use in 2010, and using synthetic cannabis product Kronic last year, can return to competitive basketball when his one-year ban ends on September 15.
The 23-year-old has served his time stacking shelves at a supermarket and is expected to be officially welcomed back into the Breakers fold when the two-time ANBL champions finalise their roster tomorrow.
Saints owner Nick Mills said Webster – who won an NBL championship with Wellington last year – would also be welcomed back to his organisation.
“When he got into trouble I said we’d pick him up in a heartbeat,” Mills said.