BBNZ BARTERCARD NBL CONFIRMS TEAMS FOR 2012
Tagged in: NBL
The Basketball New Zealand Bartercard National Basketball League Board has today confirmed the nine teams which will compete the 2012 season.
Waikato Pistons, NBL Champions in 2008 and 2009, will not compete in the 2012 season after the Waikato Basketball Council Board decided take a break from the competition in order to refocus.
Christchurch Cougars have made the hard decision to take a further year off after their team, venue and sponsors were badly affected by the February earthquakes.
The Harbour Heat registered their interest to re-enter the Bartercard NBL earlier in the year, with their application being accepted for the 2012 season.
The confirmed teams for the 2012 season are therefore Harbour Heat, Auckland Pirates, Taranaki MountainAirs, HSB Bank Hawks, Manawatu Jets, Wellington Saints, Fico Finance Nelson Giants, OceanaGold Nuggets (Otago), and Zero Fees Southland Sharks.
Sam Rossiter-Stead, Chairman of the Bartercard NBL, said: “We are pleased to confirm the nine participating teams for next year following a review of the 2011 season. Although we are disappointed that the Pistons will not be competing in 2012, there are plenty of examples of teams taking a year away from the competition to refocus and then coming back strongly. That is the situation with North Harbour, who we are delighted to welcome back with a new management team backed by a strong association. The NBL itself is in an extremely healthy state, with a solid platform and an excellent standard of basketball on display each week. Funding continues to be a challenge for many teams, but we have passionate people in each of our franchises who are committed to producing the best possible competition for their supporters to enjoy.”
The Bartercard NBL Draw will be released in due course, with the season running from the beginning of March until the end of May in order to accommodate the Tall Blacks programme.
For further information contact:
Bartercard National Basketball League
p. 04 801 2833
m. 0275 444 559
w. NBL Website
- Basketball New Zealand Kaumatua & life member Hori Thompson passes away
- Basketball New Zealand Referee Recruitment and Development Officer (Auckland)
- National Maori Basketball Tournament
- Canterbury Country Girls and Waitakere West Boys the 2014 U13 National Champions
- U13 National Champs Day 4
- U13 National Champs day 3
- U13 National Champs Day 2
- U13 National Champs Day 1
- Big Sam help Otago Boys claim ‘AA’ Boys Secondary Schools National Championship
- New Plymouth Girls win ‘AA’ Secondary Schools National Championship