Pistons return to NBL
Ian Anderson, Waikato Times
The Waikato Pistons will return to the National Basketball League next year.
The Waikato Basketball Council have confirmed that they have been granted a three-year NBL licence and will play in the 2013 competition after missing last year’s league to focus on community basketball.
Waikato Basketball Council acting chairman Chad Hooker said the council was delighted by the decision.
“We have a number of people working hard behind the scenes to get the Pistons up and running again and are currently finalising arrangements,” Hooker said.
“We are conscious of the need to ensure we have a sustainable financial model going forward and are working to secure additional funding to ensure that the team can be as successful as possible.
“While we have realistic expectations of the team in our first year returning to the league, we have made good progress in our discussions with players to date and are confident we will be able to bring together a team boasting some exciting young talent blended with some experienced senior players.”
The Pistons won the NBL title in 2008and 2009, were runners-up in 2010 and beaten semi finalists in 2011 before the WBC opted out of the 2012 campaign
- Junior Tall Ferns named for Oceania champs
- Junior Tall Blacks named for Oceania Champs
- Next generation of basketball talent assembles in Auckland
- NCAA Information Evening
- Beck Top Rebounder
- Hutt Valley Take Out National Basketball Championships
- Hutt Valley NBC Champions
- National Basketball Champs Day 3
- National Basketball Champs Day 2
- National girls’ coaches named