Coaching Starter Pack
Being well organised at competitions will make them more enjoyable for everyone involved - the coach, the players and the supporters.
Teams that are well organised are also more likely to perform to their potential.
- Check the competition time and make sure your players know where and when to meet.
- Arrive in plenty of time before the competition starts.
- Hand in any team lists or withdrawals that are required.
- Check that any equipment required is ready to go.
- Be positive and encourage all your players to feel good about themselves and be confident.
- Complete warm up routines.
- Encourage your players, but let them complete their own game.
- Make sure they have drinks available when needed.
- Observe performance and take notes.
- Provide them with positive feedback during time-outs or at the end of each Quarter or at Half time – give them only one or two key points to focus on.
- Maximise the participation where applicable.
- Monitor for health, safety and injury.
- See that the opposition, officials and other helpers are thanked after the competition.
- If appropriate, have a debrief.
- Check that you have all your equipment when you leave.
- Make sure everybody has all their personal belongings (and transport home) before you leave.
- Finish with a reminder for the next practice.