How LeBron James’ decision upended Sylvain Francisco’s NBA plans

How LeBron James' decision upended Sylvain Francisco’s NBA plans

Quick exit from Asvel and a new home in Greece

Sylvain Francisco has had a whirlwind off-season. After a strong year with Zalgiris he looked set for the NBA, but instead signed with Asvel at the end of June only to leave a month later for Panathinaikos.

The sudden change had less to do with his form and more to do with the club’s finances. Asvel faced budget uncertainty after a foreign investor was turned down by the regulator (the DNCG), which forced the club to reshuffle its roster and rethink plans. Francisco said he and his agents decided it was time to move on when the club’s budget process started to drag, and that the situation simply took longer than anyone expected.

LeBron’s timing and a missed NBA window

Francisco admits he did have real NBA interest — multiple teams showed him the door, and some offers included guaranteed two-year deals. One concrete opportunity with the Chicago Bulls ended up stalled because several trades around the league were being held up while everyone waited on one major domino: LeBron James’ decision.

He had a deadline to activate a release clause from Asvel around July 20, but LeBron didn’t sign until a few days later, and once that move happened teams began to complete the trades that had been on pause. Francisco says he was frustrated — annoyed that timing and circumstances out of his control affected his shot — but he also thinks it might turn out to be a blessing. He’s staying in Europe and joining a strong Panathinaikos side, where he could be an important piece under their coach.

Either way, Francisco’s season ahead will be closely watched — a reminder that an athlete’s path often depends on timing as much as talent.

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 11_1_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.0.15 Safari/618.2.12